Welcome to the homepage of the International Office of Stellenbosch University!
Please feel free to explore this site and learn more about Stellenbosch University and our International Office. If you have any queries, complaints or comments, please send us a message using the contact us page.
The International Office promotes and supports the international academic mobility of staff and students through
- Coordinating and facilitating of links with international organisations or institutions with an international character (e.g. DAAD, the diplomatic corps, foreign foundations);
- Establishing and maintaining international inter-university relationships and cooperative partnerships;
- Extensive visitors' programmes for international visitors to the institution;
- Financial and administrative support for visiting academics (e.g. particularly within agreements, Fulbright, post-docs)
- An advisory service, bursaries, awards for foreign studies/research;
- Representing Stellenbosch at institutions and meetings that promote internationalisation and international education; and
- Disseminating information on internationalisation and promoting internationalisation at all levels within the University.
Our specific aims are to:
- Support and promote Stellenbosch's initiatives in Africa;
- Develop and implement a strategy for Internationalisation-at-Home;
- Strengthen our International Programmes Stellenbosch University (IPSU) to mediate greater access to academic programmes for international students; and
- Actively participate in diversity initiatives for increased integration between local and international students.
We are one of the oldest international offices in South Africa and we celebrated our tenth year of existence in 2003. As part of the celebrations, we held our first Family Meeting in August 2003 with 35 representatives from 26 institutions across the world visiting Stellenbosch. Our visiting student number has grown with an average of 15% and in 2004 1741 (8.5%) non-SA citizens were enrolled at the University. Click here to see a breakdown of our student numbers (a new Excel window will open).
Over the past ten years the International Office has developed into a one stop service unit for international studies and research. We invite you to use this site to plan your international study programme – whether at Stellenbosch or with Maties Abroad. We trust that the information will be relevant and useful.